Wednesday, October 3, 2012

One Man's Trash is NOT the Library's Treasure

For some reason, people think that because we are a library, we will happily take all their junk off their hands.

Let me give you some background:
We have two big book sales a year.
We accept book (and DVD and CD) donations all throughout the year in preparation for these sales.
We are very clear on what we will and will not accept. (for example, no textbooks or reference books)

Sure, we take book donations. But we sell them in our book sale. Do you really think we want to sort through your wet, smelly, or useless material? I love the smell of books as much as the next person, but I do not simply hold onto books because they're books. They're not meant to last forever, people!

That is what the trash is for.

I've had people actually get mad at me for not taking ten-year-old textbooks.

Throw them away.

Just because we are a non-profit organization does not mean we will be weeping tears of gratitude while you try to pawn off stuff that still smells like old attic.

For a sarcastic person like myself, it takes a great deal of self-control to hold my tongue in some of these instances. I almost started laughing when someone tried to give me this pile of large photos someone took of random scenery. Is this a joke? Am I being filmed right now?

Apparently, people would rather feel like they're doing something useful with their junk or crummy books. They would rather take them to the library than stick them out with the trash.

Well, I'm sorry to let you down, now that you've dragged this whole carton of books that smell like cigarette smoke all the way to the library. But guess what?

You might have had trouble throwing that stuff away, but we certainly won't.

4 comments:

Mark Allman said...

So Laura what am I going to do with all of my Sporting News Magazines, Popular Mechanics, and George Orwell's 1984 paperback with the front cover missing(tried to sell but of course I found out about the law where you can't sell a book without a front cover) :) You are my only hope Obi Laura Librarian.

Laura said...

Recycling! Lol.

Mark Allman said...

So if I told you there were a bag of chocolate hidden in one of the bags you would take them off my hands right? :)

Common Household Mom said...

I love the photo!

I have a fairly big problem with clutter, especially books. I couldn't bear to donate them to anywhere. Once I hired a professional organizer (one of the best things I ever did). She convinced me that she was going to take the huge stack of books that I didn't need and donate them. Yes, it made me feel good and useful. But I suspect that she just drove to the nearest garbage dump with those books. I haven't missed them, and I love the cleaner, neater space.