Friday, February 22, 2013

What's in YOUR Wallet? Sometimes I Don't Want to Know.

Occasionally, at the library, I get a peek into a person's soul.

And by "soul," I mean purse. Or wallet. Or keychain.

People's personal items suddenly become something intriguing for me to examine during the ol' "search for the library card."

(I will refrain from harping on why there needs to be a long, desperate search for a library card every single time. Just tell me...why do you need 37 different cards?)

I have been treated to seeing women's entire purses being dumped onto the counter. I've watched $50 bills fall out of senior citizens' wallets (old people! you're freaking me out! please don't carry all that cash around!). And, of course, I've hefted 7-pound keychains over to scan the one bent-up library card hanging off it.

Note: When a person gets a library card through our system, he or she gets a full-size card plus a mini keychain card.

It's always interesting to see the kinds of things people have hanging off their keychains. A bunch of store cards, the local gym card, the Wendys frosty card, flashlights, pocketknives, lanyards, beaded animals, even a tick remover (yes. I know.).

My keychain has changed a lot over the years. I like to have a toy or two on there; I've swapped out ones that have fallen apart and like to switch it up with new things once in a while.

So here's what's on there now:

- gym card (all access!)
- 4 store cards (One of which I actually regularly use. My favorite.)
- key fob from some kind of honor society I was apparently inducted into from my college (received it last year...but I graduated in 2010...whatever.)
- 1/2 a rock (it has a crystal inside and is split to reveal it! I got it for free and it's pretty....)
- house key, car key, library key (all the essentials!)
- iSchool @ Pitt lanyard (never used a lanyard before this and it's changed my life. so much swinging and playing potential!)
- mini green tupperware container (my favorite! I like to snap it open and closed! I "won" it at a Tupperware party years ago.)

So that's my keychain! Or keychains, since it's made up of a few. They're kind of spontaneously interconnected. It might sound like a lot, but it's really quite manageable. I've seen some keychains at the library that would, if swung, probably knock out a gorilla. Unsurprisingly, the larger key collections belong to female patrons.

What's your favorite item on your keychain?

take me to your library keychain
Source

2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

There's not much besides keys on my keychain. But I always know where to find my library card! It has a special and prominent place in my wallet.

Mark Allman said...

I had a compass on my key chain. What you ask for... Well... well... I don't know. If I ever got to the place where I would need a compass then the world would be in a really bad place. Maybe I should replace it with a library card!! :)