Saturday, March 9, 2013

Avocado Or Avocadon't?

avocado_no_longer_a_forbidden_fruit_image
Source

I know, I know. I write about food a lot now.

Honestly, I don't know what in the world this blog is even about anymore. Chocolate? Libraries? Nutrition? Awkwardness?

Let me be random!

Anyway, I've been trying out avocados.

I'm not a person who has, in the past, claimed to enjoy avocados. I don't even like guacamole. It's so creamy that it freaks me out. Like, what is it trying to prove? I can't just eat an avocado plain. Yuck.

Thankfully, the avocado's creaminess makes it perfect for an add-in. For instance, I love it in smoothies. Chunks of avocado blend up magnificently.

Speaking of smoothies, I've been chucking the most random things in my blender lately. Spinach and squash aren't bad at all if I use lots of sweeter fruits with them.

Yesterday I made a smoothie with orange juice, pumpkin puree, frozen bananas and frozen strawberries, and avocado. WOW. Just, WOW. It was beautiful, orange, and delicious. Smoothies will taste even better when it is actually warm outside and my fingers don't go numb holding the glass.

I've been trying out some paleo recipes and found this one on PaleOMG - 5-Ingredient Avocado Pudding. Amazingness! It just tastes so rich, like it's really bad for you. For someone who doesn't care for the taste of plain avocado, this dessert is perfect because it just tastes like chocolate! I used 2 tablespoons of cocoa to make it more rich, and also splashed in some vanilla. I didn't add chocolate chips. This recipe was also the perfect opportunity to use the sunbutter I got at Trader Joe's. It kind of grosses me out and I just have to add it to things (Have you seen sunbutter? Seriously, it looks like a jar of snot.).

While I'm talking paleo, I might as well share the best banana bread recipe ever. Paleo Banana Bread from Civilized Caveman is just amazing. No flour or sugar or vegetable oil...and still good!

Hungry yet? Go make something! That's what I'm doing today! Homework and cooking...and probably later a walk in the sunshine. :)

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

Mark Allman said...

Random is good for your blog... it is enjoyable to read what you are thinking.

Common Household Mom said...

Avocado is tasty? I am doubtful. And I have never heard of sunbutter. For baking purposes, I'm sticking with my old favorites white flour, white sugar, and butter. But I did go for a walk today, in the sunshine!

Laura said...

Thanks Mark!

I was doubtful too, CHM. But don't be afraid to try new things! I've had some recipe fails, but I'm also finding new things to try that are good for me and taste good too.