Thursday, October 17, 2013

21 Days...WHAT?!

So I decided to do a 21-day sugar detox.

No, this isn't going to turn into a food blog. Although, I do happen to write about food a lot. What kind of blog is this, anyway? Hm.

I decided to do it because it's a limited amount of time and I thought it would be good for me. I won't be eating like this forever. I'm hoping to learn what I can do without. I can do anything for 21 days. Or, we'll see, I suppose.

Hello, my name is Laura. I have a problem with sugar. And overeating things with sugar.

Even my spinach salads have to include dried fruit. And though I try to make healthy choices, I sabotage myself due to a lack of self-control. One piece of dark chocolate turns into a cookie. That cookie multiples into a few (ahem) more. Then it seems like a good idea to eat frosted mini-wheats for dinner (but it's with soy milk!).

So I'm on day 3. I didn't purchase the book, but I did read about a lot of other people's experiences online. I'm following the basic plan as closely as I can, including no simple carbs, dairy, or fruit as well as obvious sugary products like cookies.

So spinach, not oatmeal. Almond milk, not cheese. Fish, not my beloved Ezekiel bread. The original plan does exclude some things I have chosen not to, such as black beans and natural peanut butter. Both are organic and do not include sugar.

It is pretty close to Paleo, except for the whole "no fruit" thing. I will be adding fruit in after 21 days, in case anyone was wondering. Here is another helpful resource I found that was just a smidge less restrictive than the original plan.

I know I am only a few days in, but I'm feeling pretty good. Certainly nothing close to some of the nightmarish accounts I found online. I am enjoying a good variety of foods, such as tuna, mashed cauliflower, spaghetti squash, chicken, carrots, salsa, hummus, & eggs. Knowing myself, I have to mix it up and not try to eat 2 salads every day. I am also cooking a lot of veggies, since raw veggies tend to make me mean.

So why am I posting this on my blog? Partly because it helps me be accountable. Partly because someone may find it interesting or helpful. Partly because it's my blog, and, well....

Wish me luck! Especially as 3 days without ice cream is kind of a record for me.

And happy season premiere of The Biggest Loser! I am loving the new shortened episode format. I realize that show is not perfect (or always accurate...), but I sort of love it.

Source


3 comments:

Mark Allman said...

Sugar by far is the item I need to control in my diet. I can not out workout my sweet tooth. I have a tough time not eating sugar. I wish you well and hope you do great.

Mark Allman said...

How is it going Laura?? I hope well.

Laura said...

I have mixed feelings, Mark! See my newest blog post.