Thursday, August 8, 2013

An Introverted Summer (Hint: I've Been Reading a Lot)

Aaaahhhh....

Please excuse my absence last week. I was breathing a sigh of relief and celebrating the fact that I am officially DONE with my summer classes and DONE with one year of my graduate degree! One year down, one to go!

So, I've got a couple weeks of freedom (well, as much freedom as a full-time employee has) until the fall semester begins.

That means, it's time to reread Harry Potter! I am currently on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Hello Marauder's Map, Remus Lupin, and Crookshanks. I've been trying to catch up on other books, too. Time off from classes = more time to read! (Since I am studying to be a *real* librarian, this is not lame. It is professional development.)

Since my vacation is long over, summer has been a smidge dull.

Not quite as horrible as Harry's summers with the Dursley's, but dull nonetheless.

A bright spot this past week was a party with friends. Outside games, delicious food, hilarious conversations...the kind of fun that I don't get to have too often. It made me miss college, when I always had people to hang out with.

As an introvert, it's always been easier and more comfortable for me to relax by being alone. However, introverts get lonely too! I have come to appreciate my time with friends, as it seems opportunities are rare these days.

ANYway, we had a bonfire at the party, complete with roasting marshmallows. It was perfect for a chilly night (what is up with this August cold??), except for the sparks zooming and crackling towards me. Yes, I am a fire wimp.

You may be surprised to learn this, as I have such a sweet tooth, but I am not really a huge fan of marshmallows. Happily, there is yet some junk food that I can resist. Even marshmallows roasted to a perfect golden brown.

Of course, I was absolutely exhausted by the time I got home. Social interaction is draining! But it was just what I needed. It's been great to get out and relax without the pressure of assignments due. I've been catching up with friends with phone calls and Skype, and it feels lovely.

So here's to summer! To Harry Potter! To friends, to fun, and to a break from classes.

Now I'd like some warmer weather, please.

Source

1 comment:

Mark Allman said...

Congratulations on finishing your courses! I love marshmallows!! I have a sweet tooth too. Sometimes it is hard to out exercise my sweet tooth. :) I'm reading The Fifth Assassin by Brad Metzler a follow up book to his The Inner Circle book that I loved. You might like those as it is about a young archivist that works at the National Archives.