Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ah, Yes. Right This Way.

"It had a red cover."

"The author's name had a 'q' in it."

The main character has a cat and works in a bakery."

Oh boy! I love a good book-finding challenge!

All right, all right. Sometimes it gets a smidge irritating trying to read the mind of whatever random patron is giving me very minimal information.

Here's a tip: be prepared! We can only do so much.

Thanks to Google, I just type in whatever the patron says, then keep modifying my search terms and see what I turn up.

I once spent close to 20 minutes searching online to find a particular mystery series. Every time the patron (an older woman) remembered another detail, I typed it in. My, the satisfaction when I hit up on the correct title!

If the patron does have some helpful information, though, I like to think of it as a challenge to remember a particular author or title. (J.K. Rowling's new book published under a pseudonym? The Cuckoo's Calling. As if I wouldn't know that!)

I'm always happy to help a patron remember a particularly elusive title. I feel like Super Librarian! As he or she exclaims in awe over my skill, all I can do is bask in their admiration.

"It's no trouble," I say. "That's why they pay me the big bucks."

Source

No comments: