Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm, Like, So Stressed Right Now.

I don't want to be stressed.

I don't even want "stress" to be a real word.

I know I can't not have everything I don't want.
(Hopefully you weren't too stressed reading that sentence...)

I know that. But I don't want stress.

Why does it seem like a competition, people comparing their stress levels?

"Oh, I just haven't had time to do that. I'm so stressed."

"I'm stretched way too thin. Things are so stressful right now."

"Wow, must be nice to be able to have time to do that. I'm so busy and stressed I won't be able to rest until I'm dead."

Well, fine. I hope you're pleased with how stressed you are. Seriously. Are you pleased? Because you certainly seem to enjoy it. And use it as an excuse.

It seems that the problem in our country today (don't you just love sentences that begin like this?) is that stress is a mark of honor. The busier you are, the more harried you are, the less time you have...these are all good things! Things to be celebrated! Hooray for you and your hectic life!

This should not be. When I am stressed, I evaluate my life. What am I putting time and energy and worry into? Am I wasting time? Am I saying yes to too many responsibilities? Am I taking time to do the important things well, instead of dealing with them as afterthoughts?

I don't think we should be proud when we're stressed. I think we should slow down.

 

3 comments:

Tim said...

Well I'm glad that you have time to vent your frustrations on your blog. I'm like so stressed and busy that I didn't even have time to read your post.

I know what you mean, I often will get the feeling that I am supposed to feel guilty that I am not as stressed/busy as some other people.

Anonymous said...

hi. so- yeah, I know what you mean. around here we say "drowning."

But- I've been reading your blogs for a little while and I notice that not many of them have meaning. Like- deeper meaning. I see in your heading that you have a personal relationship with God but I don't see it anywhere else in the blog posts I've been reading.

No struggles, no revelations, no conflicts, no passion- just fluff.

I challenge you to write something deeper.

Sincerely,
Bored at work

Laura said...

Tim: I know, I'm so guilty I had time to write this! :)

Bored at Work: Thanks for your comment. My choice with this blog has been to be creative, funny, and mostly light. My goal is to entertain and perhaps to provoke a bit of thought and discussion. Though I do have a personal relationship with God, I have chosen not to make this blog more of a devotional. Everything I write is filtered through my Christian worldview. If this isn't quite what you're looking for, I won't be offended if you keep searching. Good luck, and thanks for reading!