Friday, May 3, 2013

In the Children's Library

I believe that it is pretty much impossible to sit among a rowdy group of 3-6 year-olds and not be happy.

My storytimes are my favorite programs. I get to play games and read stories to kids who get excited over anything and everything we do.

"Who wants to read a story?" "MEEEEEEEEE!"

"Who wants to play a game?" "I DOOOOOO!"

"Should we parade around the library?" "YEEEESSSSS!"

Growing up and being an adult is tough. Seeing trouble and sadness in the world is tough. We all have our problems. We all have our disappointments. But sit yourself down among children for a while, and remember what it's like to be excited!

We've got a couple parachutes for the kids to play with here at the library. They're kind of wrinkled and kind of beat up. One is missing a handle, ripped off by a giggling kid. I keep bringing them back to storytime due to popular demand.

I toss a few stuffed animals or beanbags in the center, the kids grab onto handles, and we shake and jump and wave the parachutes all around, often flinging the animals or beanbags all over the place.

They love it! You wouldn't believe the shrieking and laughing!

The adults watching can't help but laugh too. It's so infectious.

Working with kids is the best. I can make up a game on the spot that could be completely lame, but everyone rallies around it. I ask them to hold their hands up in the air and fingers shoot up, wiggling, faces turned toward me with expectation.

What a great age. Before they grow up. While they can still get enthusiastic about tossing beanbags into a basket. While their biggest problem is an untied sneaker. While their eyes are bright, their smiles are genuine, and their curiosity is never satisfied.

Kids completely energize me. And I love it. :)

Source

2 comments:

Mark Allman said...

It is great to be around kids like that. Someone said to try not to smile while skipping.

Unknown said...

This made me all teary-eyed. I agree 100%. I love kids SO much. It's no wonder I became an early-childhood educator...so that THEY could bless ME. awesome post. thanks for sharing and pulling on my heart strings. loved it.