Wednesday, January 19, 2011

There Are Worse Addictions...

I have fifteen scarves. I just counted them. Is that too many? Are you judging me right now? Just...stop, okay? You don't understand.

I need scarves. They're just so cute!

A scarf is forgiving. It always fits and drapes the same way it did last time. It dresses up a boring outfit and it gives my hands something to fiddle with when I'm nervous or bored. When I'm wearing a scarf, I have something I can fling carelessly over my shoulder to make a glamorous exit or to punctuate a particularly smart remark.

And each scarf has a story. Some I bought on Black Friday (different years..). Some were gifts. Some I got for such incredible good deals that I was unable to resist. Some I wore during certain memorable events in my life.

Is fifteen scarves too many? If so, why do I STILL have trouble finding the right one sometimes?

And why do I have a strange longing to make it an even twenty?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to be a scarf person... If you get too many you can give a few to me! :)

jingalls said...

i have a rather large amount of nike and adidas clothes. consider it a collection!

TinaW said...

I found your blog from your comments on Stuff Christians Like. I am also a lover of scarves. It would be impossible for me to say how many I have because they are tucked here and there among my clothes, in odd places in my home, and among the costumes at school. Recently I've gotten into knitting in a very big way, and I've been knitting shawls, which are basically just shawls. I've enjoyed reading some of your blog posts!

Laura said...

Thanks for stopping by, Tina! I've always wanted to learn how to knit; that's very cool.