Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who's in the Mood for A Mild Disaster?

I am not a very spontaneous person.

This is why I'm not really sure why I love disasters.

Let me define disasters. In this case, disasters are things that go wrong in a not-too-big way. No one gets hurt. Three examples of my kind of disaster are: 1) the electricity goes out 2) we get a ton of snow and things get canceled 3) the computers go down in the library.

Now, I realize that all three things are inconvenient. But I find them exhilarating.

To me, it's such an adventure for all the lights to go out. And though I don't think I've ever been stuck somewhere because of snow, I have been stuck somewhere (Wendy's) because of flooding. And on occasion the computers have gone down at the library and we have had to write down people's checkouts like "the olden days."

Why do these things make me so happy? Maybe it's the possibilities. Or the fact that crazy things are happening out of my control and all that's left to do is enjoy it. I love the feeling of not knowing what's going to happen and just "living in the moment" for a while. Like I said, as long as there's nothing dangerous going on.

Am I alone in this? Does anyone else love stumbling around in the dark?

Maybe it's just me. Me and the spontaneous person inside of me fighting to get out.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

Along these lines, I've wanted to get stuck in an elevator... :)

Laura said...

YES! Lizzie, that's another good one!