Friday, January 28, 2011

Thanks; You're a Peach


So yesterday I was checking a patron's books out at the circulation desk in the library, and the small talk was going well. I mean, I've definitely improved in my small talk skills at the library. You kind of have to, for those moments when the computer is slow, you have to check out 57 books, or you can't figure out one of those really complicated CD cases.

So I was joking or laughing or chatting or whatever - good chemistry with the patron, ya know. And then while I'm saying something, she reaches over and drops some money into the donation jar we have.

Did I just get a tip?

I gave her the receipt, said bye, she left...and then I just had to laugh at the second of awkwardness.

It's funny how we have that donation jar right there and I never really know what to do when people put money in it. Saying "thank you" seems strange. I mean, it's not like it's for me personally. Usually I just pretend nothing happened. I'm probably overthinking this. Am I overthinking this?

If you're wondering why we have a donation jar, um, we're a library. Pretty much the one thing everybody knows about the library these days is that apparently they're going to die an agonizing death. And, of course, everyone likes to bring that up with me in social situations.

"So, you work at the library? They're not doing too well, are they? What are you going to do next?"

Ugh. Listen, libraries will be around forever, if I have anything to say about it.

Here, just enjoy my winning smile and drop some money in here, will ya?

2 comments:

kay stockdale said...

i'm going to come to the library just so i can look for the tip jar! :-) i might even put some money in it so you have a job for the rest of your life! have fun, and thanks for the laughs...

Laura said...

Thanks; you're a peach. :)