Thursday, August 25, 2011

Crazy Days, Part 2

Yesterday was 1. Technological Disasters
Today is 2. Natural Disasters

All caught up? Let's go!

So Tuesday, after all the craziness of the morning (read previous post if you haven't already...) with the computers down, random issues popping up, a policeman showing up saying someone had called 911, etc...I went to eat lunch.

I went to my car to eat, with the windows rolled down, in a secluded area of the parking lot. So I could just chill. At some point I got a weird feeling that the car was rocking back and forth. I looked out the window and tried to figure out why. Wind isn't that strong, right?

I even had the creepy thought that some nut was hunched down behind my car pushing it. Hey, this is the library parking lot. Who KNOWS what could happen? Like, that's all I need. Some library stalker who followed me out to the parking lot. After a few seconds, the swaying stopped so I forgot all about it.

Then I got inside the library and quickly realized from the internet that there had just been an EARTHQUAKE in Virginia. Wait - what? I got super excited that I had actually felt an earthquake, then started checking out news sites online as well as Twitter and Facebook. There's nothing quite like seeing people talking about the news as it's happening. Getting everyone's stories. Hearing the latest developments. Reason #738 why I love the internet.

"Yes, I DID feel the earthquake," I said numerous times, flushed with satisfaction and pride. "You didn't? Stinks to be youuuuu!"

(The picture below has been circulating online with the caption: East Coast Earthquake Devastation. It's a big deal to us, okay?)



Then yesterday, another typical day at the library, I went into the back for a minute and came out to the sound of sirens. What? Fire in the parking lot bushes? Of course.

I checked to be sure my car was a safe distance away, then gawked with the rest of the patrons as a fire truck rolled up. Standing next to me were two adorable little boys who often come to the library dressed as firemen and policemen. This event had pretty much made their LIFE.

Now, I'm hearing rumors of a hurricane blowing through. This is natural disaster week at the library, and we're just clutching our books and wondering what will come next!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Maybe you shouldn't ask what will come next.

Unknown said...

thanks a lot... I am on of those "stinks to be you" people that didn't feel the earthquake! :)

Beth said...

Pretty cool wasn't it?