Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Crazy Days, Part 1

What. A. Day.

Two days, actually. This is going to be a two-parter, so hold on to your socks, people. Lots to say!

Today and yesterday have been sort of, well, chaotic. I'm going to divide the events into two parts, the first of which we'll cover today.

1. Technological disasters

2. Natural disasters

Yesterday morning, we swung open the doors of the library to welcome our in our beloved patrons. Meanwhile, in another part of town, the server for all the county libraries crashed. Commence frenzied printing-up of warning signs ("Basically, we can't help you with much today because our computers are down. Feel free to make as many sarcastic 'depending too much on technology' comments as you'd like. Have a nice day.").

So it was a morning fraught with frustration. Teeming with tension. Well, not really. I kind of had fun with the fact that we had such a different kind of morning. I sort of like the craziness. Keeps things interesting. And patrons were, for the most part, understanding.

Then I got home. And I got on MY computer. And all of a sudden, I was not laughing at technology; I was weeping.

Google, my trusted ally, had betrayed me. Somehow I had picked up a virus, and Google kept leading me to sketchy ads. I didn't understand that it was a virus at first, but then I noticed other things on my computer going crazy. And my virus scanner wouldn't open. And strange messages popped up. And I spent three hours staring in anguish at my computer screen, wondering if chocolate would cure it the way it always had me...

My computer is broken. And with it, my life. Not really. But sort of. I'm praying it's fixable, but for now all I can do is find other ways of filling my spare time. Wait - what did people do before computers again?

Soon to come - Crazy Days, Part 2, or Natural Disasters: Who is Shaking My Car?

Shout-out to my "flatmate" for letting me use her laptop to post this!

No comments: