Monday, January 10, 2011

The Lights Are Turned Way Down Low...

The last couple days we've had big, puffy snowflakes falling from the sky, causing me to stare dreamily out nearby windows. There are few occurences more distracting than a soft snowfall.

My mind runs through the possibilities.

Snow. Packing snow or light snow? Snowman. Snow delays. Maybe everything will be canceled today and I'll have to stay trapped at home! Maybe the electricity will go out! Maybe the snow will pile up to the roof and I'll be able to climb up on the roof!

...Or maybe I'll just have to scrape off the car.

Snow falls makes me think of canceled classes, of spontaneous snowball fights, of my dog coming in from the outside with a little pile of snow on top of his nose.

Not too many things make me feel like I'm five years old again (in a good way). Snow does! I'm not much of a romper, but romping through the snow suddenly sounds very appealing. Usually, being cold - with a red face and a sniffly nose - isn't one of my favorite things. But when I'm in the snow - bring it on.

But the best part of a snowfall for me is that time in the morning before the roads are cleared. When cars are still buried, when the sounds of traffic are silenced. When everyone else is tucked inside enjoying a snow day, or peering out the foggy windows to see how deep the drifts are. When it's just me venturing outside to stand on top of the new snow - no dirt or salt or footprints on it yet. And all around me, there's just a strangely comforting quiet. You can almost hear the snowflakes fall.

No comments: