Monday, January 31, 2011

Unrealistic Expectations About Facebook


Hey, I'm annoyed by Farmville as much as the next girl. I, too, see statuses that make me roll my eyes. I cruise Facebook and judge profiles and pictures like nobody's business.

But come on, now. It's Facebook.

I feel like we can sometimes get "righteously indignant" about the things people put on Facebook. "Why would they post a status like that? No one cares." "They can't take good pictures at all; look at how blurry!" "What kind of pointless group did they join now?"

Which is funny, because after all, it's Facebook.

Think about the "point" of Facebook. Staying connected and knowing what everybody else is doing. Am I right? If someone's bothering you that much, unfriend them. I mean, what are you expecting on here anyway? Everyone to post statuses that are as witty and/or intellectual as yours?

Sure, I get annoyed with people on Facebook. But no one's twisting my arm to look at those pictures. No one made me click "accept" on the friend request. No one made me even get Facebook in the first place.

So this is a reminder to me to back off a little. To not be so judgmental. To not invest time in overanalyzing people "as seen on Facebook."

It's not life or death. It's just Facebook. Hm...sounds like a good t-shirt.

No comments: