Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Heave, Ho!



Because I work in a library, I can usually be found holding a book or two. I carry books around. A lot. And when I do, I like to gather, as my mom calls it, "the lazy man's load."

The lazy man's load is carrying as much as you can at once so you don't have to make more than one trip. So, I lift as many books as I can possibly carry at the same time. I size them up, say to myself, Oh, I can take that, and LIFT them up with a grunt as inspirational music plays in my head.

I like to gather up as many as I can, then stack on a few more.

I have a very balanced method of carrying, which I have perfected over the years. I choose a couple of the biggest books to put on the bottom of the stack, then put two stacks side by side on top of those bigger books, going in the opposite direction. It's genius, I tell you! Genius!

If anyone around me expresses disbelief that I can manage the kind of book load I am preparing for myself, all the better. My library muscles enjoy proving themselves to skeptical-turned-adoring crowd.

Anyone can carry a couple books. I choose to take "the lazy man's load." One trip instead of three. And possibly, if something goes wrong, one spectacular mess to clean up. If I'm going to fall, it might as well be the kind of fall that everyone can go home and tell their families about. I like to brighten days when I can.

No comments: