Monday, July 11, 2011

What's in a Name?


It can be tricky being my age.

Which is 22, in case you were wondering.

Sometimes I forget that I'm 22. I'll stop and think: Wait, I'm 21. No, am I 22? Am I really? What year is this... I must be! That's so oooold... And then I get depressed.

Anyway, this age is weird because, well, because of a few things. But for the purpose of this blog post, let's just pick one.

For me, currently, it's weird calling adults by their first names. I mean, it's easier to call adults by their first names if I meet them now. But then I talk to people I've known for longer, and I have to call them Mr. and Mrs.

Like those people you've known ever since you were little? The ones who held you when you were a baby? Possibly changed your diaper...? Yeah, hard to switch over to a first-name basis.
I don't feel like I should be allowed to. Like I'll get in trouble.

And then, I'm not sure what kids should call me. I'm fine with first names, but I find that a lot of parents like their kids to call me "Miss Laura," especially at the library or at church.

That's pretty strange, not gonna lie. It makes me feel like an old maid librarian. The kind who owns several cats. And cardigans...Do I really need to go on?

Anyway, names can be tricky. I have been known not to call people anything, just so I don't mess up what I'm supposed to call them. "Hey, there, friend..."

5 comments:

Tim said...

I know what you mean about calling adults by their first names, and kids calling you Miss Laura. I'm having those same awkward situations come up. =P

Hannah said...

You never get over that feeling of being in your teens...I haven't and I'm thirty, and my Dad says he hasn't and he's in his sixties. I kept calling people Mr. and Mrs. for a long time until I have many women tell me to stop because it made them feel really old. Hmmm...I'm still earning my gray hairs of wisdom. I'll let you know if I ever find a solution.

Linda said...

About the age thing....once you hit 29, just stay there. It's working for me!

Carol said...

Well, let me speak for those twice, and then some, of your age. Addressing people by Mr. or Mrs. is a kindness. It is a sign of respect - the way they were told to show respect. If someone should ask you to call them by their first name, do so. But I encourage you, the titles you use may say as much about you as it does about them....and that is not a bad thing. By the way Laura, I'm ready for Carol even if it is tough. You are now a colleague in the community of writers.

Laura said...

Thanks for the comments and advice, everyone!