Friday, July 8, 2011

Harry Potter


Sometimes, you read that book.

You know, the one you can't put down. The one you can't stop thinking about. The one you want to talk about. discuss, and quote.

I've always loved books. Duh. I've always loved the feeling of being completely sucked in and immersed in another world, living through the characters and following the author through the story.

I read a lot of books. But one time, about 10 years ago ( no WAY, has it really been that long?), I read that book.

I had put off reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for a while. I had heard of it. And I had heard of the book or two following it. But I ignored the initial hype. I knew some people thought it was evil; I knew other people were obsessed with it. It had something to do with magic. Witches. Wizards. And some kid with a lightning bolt scar.

But one day, for some reason or another, I picked it up. And read. And read. And read. I finished the first book, read the second, the third, the fourth, and then waited eagerly for each following book to be released so I could devour those as well.

When I finished the final book outside in my hammock a few years ago, I was crying. Because this series that Jo Rowling had created was truly magical. I understood the characters; I loved them. I felt I knew how Harry would react in a certain situation, what Luna would say. I KNEW there was more to Snape than first met the eye. And Hermione belonged with Ron all along.

Beyond the experience of reading the books was the involvement in the larger fan world. Everyone wants to be involved with something bigger than themselves; the world of Harry Potter was no exception. Fan sites were created, podcasts recorded. Strangers became best friends and kids found ways to express their love of the books in creative ways.

When people were saying that books were dying, the first Harry Potter book was published. And kids discovered that reading was not just for school. Not just for work. Reading was cool again.

One by one, the movies came out. Dan, Rupert, and Emma brought characters to life that had only existed in our imaginations. Fans flocked to see these movies, the most dedicated fans I've ever seen. The movies have been different than the books, of course. But they have brought the story to the big screen, reaching more and more people and always pointing them towards the books.

And through it all, Jo Rowling has been the hero of it all. The most beloved author of our time, the one who gave us Harry. Books, the magic of reading, always at the center of this phenomenon.

I have never been to a midnight premier of a movie before. But next Thursday at midnight I'll be lined up with fans wearing glasses and scars, ready to watch the final movie based on the Harry Potter books. I'll be there because these books have been a big part of my childhood, and I want to see these movies through.

The books have been written. The movies are almost all released. But the magical world of Harry Potter will continue to spark the imaginations of generations to come.

And I'm proud to say, I'm part of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long live Harry Potter! Twilight will die away in two years, but fifty years from now, Harry Potter will still be famous. I grew up with Harry Potter up until the end, and children ten years from now will still be growing with him. J.K. Rowling does indeed deserve to be in the literature hall of fame along with Charles Dickens, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R Tolkien.

Linda said...

I'm an official member of the Adult Fans of Harry Potter Support Group.