Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chocolate Fountain of Happiness

So we had a chocolate fountain party at the library this week.

When I say we, I mean me and my coworkers. My coworkers and me? My coworkers and I? I know it's not I and my coworkers. Whatever.

Anyway, someone had gotten a chocolate fountain for Christmas, and we decided to have a party in honor of such a breathtaking item. And also in honor of Valentine's Day. And also because a couple days before, we celebrated Wear Red Day, to support heart health in women.

Let's just say, we party hard in the library.

So we all brought something to dip in the chocolate fountain. I brought angel food cake. I did what I hate to do, which is bake from a mix, but I wasn't too excited about using 12 egg whites to make the cake from scratch. What're you supposed to do with that many egg yolks? The recipe says, "discard the yolks." I'm so sure. I am not a food waster.

So other librarians brought different kinds of fruit, graham crackers, Oreos, pretzel rods, even potato chips. We stood clustered around that glorious chocolate fountain, dipping everything we could see into it.

"Do you think this would taste good?"

"I dunno...dip it! Dip it! Dip it!"

Never has there been, nor will there ever be a more fabulous invention than the chocolate fountain. The library office smelled like a chocolate factory. I half-expected to be offered an everlasting gobstopper by Mr. Willy Wonka himself. If we had that thing running 24/7, I wouldn't mind at all.

I kept being afraid, though, that I would eat a strawberry or something covered in chocolate and then go straight out to help a patron with chocolate all around my mouth. So much for the cliche librarian. "What? Librarians have fun and eat chocolate? And where're your glasses, by the way? How many cats do you have?"

What a great day. A chocolate-eating day. Which, come to think of it, is every day. Maybe I should've dribbled some chocolate on Neville. I bet he wouldn't spit THAT out.

No comments: