Thursday, February 24, 2011

Good Times Not Involving Chocolate


This is Day 4 with no chocolate. My mom asked me yesterday if I would want to know if she baked something with chocolate in it. Meaning, I guess, she could hide it.

That's all I can think about now. If I have a weak moment, I may start throwing cupboards open and rifling through the freezer.

As I stand all day at the library circulation desk, I do a lot of people-watching. I know about how many people are there and where they all are. I know which people need help finding a book or which people have no idea how to use the computer they're sitting in front of.

So while I'm keeping an eye on things, one of my simple joys is watching people near the entrance do two things...

1. Try to put books in the bookdrop when we're open. Now, we close our bookdrop when we're open. It's easier that way. People just walk inside and drop off their books, instead of us having to continually go outside and empty the outside bookdrop. But there are plenty of people who haven't caught on yet. They poke around, pushing and prodding, until they realize that they have to walk a few more steps inside. This amuses me. Oh well, guess you have to come all the way inside the library today! Welcome! Can I interest you in - oh, okay. Bye.

2. Try to pull the doors open when they're leaving instead of pushing them. Now, there are these handles on the door, which I guess throw everybody off. So if someone's speed-walking toward the exit and they try to throw the door open, they stop dead and have to figure out what's wrong. Most people, if they try to pull and that doesn't work will just push, right? Well, I've had a few people become totally confused and agitated. One person did that thing where you pretend that you didn't really want to go out the door. You were just passing through, pulling doors, on your way to the new book display. Oh no! You're locked inside the library! I can think of worse fates...

Well, I think those are funny, anyway. And if I'm nearby, I'll always help out and explain. Because that's what librarians do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

can I just say that I wish the book drop was open even when the library was open... not such a big deal now that my kids are older and I am not quite so paranoid about someone stealing them from me, but I hate to leave them in the car and out of sight when I have to run in to return some books! sometimes it would be nice to just drop them outside and go!

PS. the library where I grew up had a drive thru book drop. You dropped them in a slot outside and they landed in a huge cart inside!! I think our library needs one! :)

Laura said...

That's a good point! We did used to have a drive-thru drop, but then we got the children's library addition and now there's no place to drive around.

I understand about moms with kids, but it would just get too crazy for us if we had to worry about an outside bookdrop as well.