Friday, February 18, 2011

Kid-Friendly


I've written before about every kid's favorite object in the library. So I thought I'd make a list of the current favorites, just to round it out. Beginning with, of course...

1. Automatic doors for the handicapped. Of course, the handicapped rarely use them. Instead, siblings race each other to push the buttons. Much excitement is associated with these doors. Also, much despair.

2. Thomas the Tank Engine train table. If I see parents walking briskly past the desk holding a crying child, it's a pretty safe bet that the train table is to blame.

3. The niche in the desk. A niche is the closest way I can describe this little place where the side of the tall circulation desk recedes into itself, creating a perfect hiding place for kids. They like to stand in this spot and giggle to themselves, enjoying a little space just for them.

4. The Lego sign and Lego donation box. This is a recent addition to the library, but has drawn a lot of attention. The library is going to start a Lego program for kids, so we have a sign made out of Legos that says HELP! WE NEED LEGOS! along with a donation box made out of Legos (in case people want to just give money instead of Legos). Kids think that these things are pretty much the coolest things ever, like the library was just transformed into a theme park or something.

5. The receipt printer. Kids whose moms get a lot of books think that watching the receipt get longer and longer is better than watching a suspenseful movie. Will it just keep getting longer? Will it ever stop? Will it...REACH the FLOOR???

These are definitely the favorites in the library these days. Of course there are more, like the pile of candy bars at the desk we're selling as a fundraiser or the "I got my library card today" sticker or the dozens of stuffed animals sitting around in the children's area....But these 5 seem to be at the top.

I love watching kids enjoy the library. Every part of it. I love watching kids run in, hollering, past the circulation desk and towards the children's section like it's the highlight of their week. I love leaning over the desk and talking to kids about their favorite books or movies, especially since I've read and watched or at least heard of their favorite characters and stories. Libraries are cool, kids. Remember that when you grow up!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Haha, I love #5. Awesome. And I'll let you in on a little secret: my family? we were those kids when we were little, excited to be at the library. :) Proud of it, too!

Unknown said...

Well, you already know how much my kids love the Handicapped button... just want you to know that they love the "niche", too!! :) I love to hear them giggle in there!