Wednesday, November 3, 2010

And a Little Child Shall Lead Them, Shrieking, to the Doors

What do kids love most about the public library?

Is it the books? The movies? The stuffed animals? Perhaps the train table featuring preschool idol Thomas the Tank Engine?

No. No, all these exciting options children have at their fingertips while at the library are NOT their most favoritest things.

That award goes to....the handicapped buttons next to the two sets of front doors.

While a frazzled mom tosses the sticky library card up on the counter to me, juggling an infant, tote bag, purse, and recently-made craft, her little pride and joy is racing towards the exit. The most dramatic moments are when sibling competition plays a role.

“I WANNA PRESS THE DOOR!”

“All right, Drew, you press this one and-“

“BUT DREW GOT TO PRESS THE DOOR LAST TIME!”

“Well you can open the next set of doors, Julia now WAIT FOR MOMMY BEFORE YOU GO INTO THE PARKING LOT, DREW!”

It’s rare that I see an actual handicapped person use the button.  But when it comes to kids, it’s the beginning and end of awesomeness at the library. It's the library version of candy at the grocery store checkout. The whole time you’re in the store you know it’s there and it’s coming and maybe if you race toward it and shriek you’ll get it all to yourself!

On a slow day, I enjoy watching the doors for this kind of action. It rates slightly above watching people push instead of pull the doors, or vice versa. The best is when a rude patron leaves and then becomes totally confused by the complicated system that is only deciphered by reading the PULL sign. Maybe they’re the ones that need the handicapped button.

4 comments:

Adriel said...

This post makes me happy :)

It takes me way back to the days when I was the little boy that you wrote about. Your impression of the mother is spot-on!

Unknown said...

OH MY HEART!!! thank you for changing the names to protect the innocent, because that soo could be my family, in fact, it usually is! except that I have FOUR kids so 2 do it on the way in and 2 on the way out!! :)

Unknown said...

oh wait, I no longer have an infant... guess it wasn't me! :)

Laura said...

Glad it made you happy, Adriel!
Julie - I'm hoping my children will never notice that such buttons exist in the first place... :) Is there hope?