Monday, November 1, 2010

I See We Have a Long November Ahead of Us

Oh, November. How nice of you to come. I’m going to try to enjoy you for what you are: a colder month with a chance of snow. And with Thanksgiving at the end of you.

But instead, I find myself seeing November as a hurdle. A tall, cold, dark hurdle that I must slowly clamber over to reach...DECEMBER! And CHRISTMAS!

And so the countdown to Christmas begins, this day after Halloween. Last year, on December 26, it seemed so far away. Not anymore! It’s within reach!

November is a test of my self-control. How early is too early for Christmas music? Is it cheating to make Christmas cookies in November? Do I have the strength to look away when a Christmas commercial comes on, for fear I’ll get Premature Christmas Joy?

I am offended if you think I’m a Grinch because I try to hide from Christmas in November. It’s not easy, believe me. I just have a fear that I’ll get sick of Christmas before December even begins.

Oh, November. Please go by quickly. And please don’t hate me for loving December more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your words just make me laugh!! November can be soo depressing, which is why I am going to try to "GIVE THANKS" every day! I lit some candles around the house to make it a little cheerier, but I am going to hold of on Christmas music for another week or two!! :)