Tuesday, November 2, 2010

These Feet Were Made for Running

And now, a post about exercise. I'm warning you now so you have the chance to leave if you'd like.

Still here? Awww, thanks.

I am a recent convert to exercise. I've done it off and on, sometimes with frequency. But now I'm a regular. Being able to run five miles was a big accomplishment for me. I finally feel like I had a "right" to call myself a runner.

I know a lot of people think exercise takes up too much time, or it's too hard, or whatever. Like anything important and meaningful in life, you have to work at it. Luckily, you receive benefits from the effort you put forth, otherwise there is no way I'd be hanging in this long. I mean, what have cookies ever given me? Other than acceptance. Or comfort. Or a comforting chocolate-y mouthful...

Anyway, I suppose I’m stopping to think about how grateful I am for exercise. Our bodies were made to move, after all. And it’s pretty incredible what we can train ourselves to adapt to.

A lot of times I look at athletes and subconsciously think their bodies are made of different stuff than mine. But when I look at how far I’ve come in a few months, I’m really amazed at how strong I am.

I always had those dreams where “Something” would be chasing me and I would try to run, but couldn’t. Like I was bogged down in molasses, like that poor guy in CandyLand. Anyway, a little while ago I had a dream I was running. Really running.

Now I feel like I can do just about anything.

No comments: