Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Place is in the Kitchen, Apparently

Mmm, I love being in the kitchen - especially this time of year.

Cooking and baking allow me to create something while following a recipe. Structured creativity! I have a recipe, I have a picture of what the finished product should look like, and then I can peel and cut and stir and make something stupendous!

The danger is watching the Martha Stewart dvds I borrowed from the library. I watch Martha for a while - watch her toss spices and oil into bowls and pans without measuring. Then, for some reason, I begin to believe that I too am above measuring ingredients. So far nothing terrible has happened, but I have to hold myself back and use the right tools so I don't get myself into trouble.

Not only do I love the actions that go along with working in the kitchen, but I love presenting the fiinished product. I don't bake for myself, I bake for my family and friends. Sharing the food I make brings me great satisfaction. Plus, they're usually so grateful that they do the dishes for me! I enjoy doing the dishes once in a while, but after whipping up something delicious and time-consuming in the kitchen, the dishes can stay in the sink forever for all I care.

If you ever happen to be in the kitchen when I'm making something, get out. Get out now. If you're just standing there taking up space or getting in my way, it makes me antsy. Stay back and give me elbow room. Better yet, here: peel these carrots. Do something useful.

So, my place is in the kitchen. Behind-the-scenes work appeals to me. I'd rather roll up my sleeves and work hard back there than come out and do a lot of socializing.

If you want to talk with me, come back to the kitchen. Just keep back and grate this cheese, will you?

No comments: