Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapstick



Have you ever reluctantly shared an odd story from when you were younger, only to find with relief that someone else has done the same thing? “Whew! I thought I was the only one who tried to eat chapstick because it smelled so good!” “You mean you thought what you wore in middle school was cool, too?”

It’s great to find common ground with people. You realize you’re not as different as you may have thought. You discover similar backgrounds, or shared quirks.

It’s funny how much my decisions depend upon how others will respond. Even when I share embarrassing things about myself, I’m looking for acceptance. I want others to tell me that I’m okay. That I’m just like them.

Does it really matter what other people think of me? It shouldn’t. Ultimately, what matters is what God thinks of me. But this is a reminder for me to slow down and really take a look at some of the things that I say or do. How much of it is meant to result in me feeling better about myself?

Well, if I'm not selfishly sharing things about myself to get something back from whoever I tell, sharing embarassing things can be a great ice-breaker. Of course, when one has blocked so many embarassing and awkward moments out of one's head, one often can't think of something to share.

Except during high school sleepovers.... late at night... after having downed a few sodas.... and eating too many chips... Somehow then it was all right to share my deepest, darkest secrets.

Honestly, with those kinds of amazing flavors, how do chapstick manufacturers expect kids to NOT try to eat chapstick? Yes, I tried eating chapstick. No, it did not taste as good as it smelled.

No comments: