Sunday, October 31, 2010

Concepts Make More Sense When They Rhyme

In these times of political uncertainty, and especially as Election Day approaches, I find comfort in turning to something simple and straightforward to aid in my understanding.


Though we’re not electing a president on November 2, it never hurts for me to catch up on my U.S. Government knowledge. Or lack thereof. I’m embarrassed by my confusion at terms like “electoral college,” “congressional district,” and “Lower House.” Somewhat hopefully, I’m guessing I’m not the only one who gets overwhelmed when it comes to political subjects.

Today I did some research on the way things work in our government. I was all over Wikipedia reputable sites because I kept coming across new things I had to look up. But now I feel like I can vote with a little more confidence.

It was important to me to go into this Election Day as an informed citizen instead of an "ignorant young person."

It may take a little more work after digging through your mailbox overflowing with ads,  rolling your eyes through the commercials, and hanging up on recordings, but it’s worth it. And research doesn't have to be boring, either.

No comments: