Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The End

I hate finishing a good book.

I want to get to the end, but I don't want it to end. When I find a good book, like a really good book, like the kind of book I have to carry around everywhere...it's just a shame that it has to end.

NOW what am I going to read, I grumble. Everything else is worthless. I might as well give up reading altogether! Knitting, maybe I should knit....

I savor the last few pages, enjoy the satisfying ending, then close the book and glare at it resentfully. I knew you were too good to be true. I think I finally found a book I can trust, one I can depend on, one I can - dare I say it - LOVE. And you've gone and ruined it. Just like that, you're over. WE'RE over.

So I put the book away. And I have some time to myself, try to prove that I don't NEED a book.

And then, when I least expect it, one finds me again. And I reluctantly fall in love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are some of your favorite books??

Laura said...

I ALWAYS have a hard time with this question because I read so many books. These days, it's really rare that I re-read a book.

The Harry Potter series I LOVE. I enjoy historical fiction if it's not too sappy. Classics like Pride and Prejudice and Little Women. Old Agatha Christie mysteries. Children's books like Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events and Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Jan Karon's At Home in Mitford series. Retellings of fairy tales. Creative nonfiction like Marley and Me. Chick lit like those by Sophie Kinsella. And the list goes on.

Pretty much anything I see I try. I love exposing myself to a wide variety of genres meant for a wide variety of ages.