Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Squirrels Are People, Too. Not Really.

I remember when I first started driving, I told myself to just suck it up and hit the squirrels.

They get hit all the time. It’s too bad, but it’s a fact of life.

I told myself that I would never go out of my way. I wouldn’t slow down. They’re SQUIRRELS! And they have brains, after all. More or less. If a car is coming, they should know not to go bounding in front of it, freeze in panic, dart back and forth and then turn around and go back where they came from. I mean, how smart is that? They deserve what they get!

Then it happened to me. I was driving alone on a street, no other cars around. And a squirrel, perhaps dared by his buddies who were cheering him on from the bushes, made a run for it. I wanted to teach him a lesson, not to mention warn his little delinquent friends, but I just couldn’t do it. I slowed down, even stopped, leaving him free to enjoy the adrenaline rush.

I sure showed him.

2 comments:

snippiddydoda said...

squirrels definitely love daring the new guy to run out into the road while they watch safely from the bushes

Mark Allman said...

Love this story