Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stand Tall

I used to really hate being tall. Now, I realize some benefits through the years:

1. Able to reach things off the top shelf. For me, or for random short strangers at the store.
2. Assumed to be much older than I really was.
3. Long legs to walk fast and pass short people on the sidewalk.
4. Tall enough to see over people’s heads at the theater, church, or a claustrophobic store on Black Friday.
5. Tall enough to look most people in the eye. Or down at the tops of their heads.
6. Could go deeper in the pool while still able to touch the bottom. This eliminated the risk of losing my footing and being devoured by “pool sharks,” who lived in the dark corners.
7. Long arms to grab falling items before they hit the ground (similar to “ElastiGirl”).
8. People assumed I played basketball. So they thought I was an exceptional athlete who used my height to my advantage, instead of curling up my limbs in a comfy chair and reading “Little House on the Prairie.”
9. Able to spot Easter eggs quicker, whether they be nestled in a tree or up on a dusty shelf.
10. Could easily place the angel on the top of the Christmas tree instead of blindly waving it above my head and getting my eyes poked by needles.

Sure, there are disadvantages of being tall. But, having dwelled on them much of my 21 years, I choose to leave them behind. Because they can’t catch up with me and my fast-walk.

No comments: