Friday, April 27, 2012

What Do YOU Know?

Here's something annoying:

people attempting to discuss something they haven't read.

Why people will try to enter into a dialogue with someone about something they have only heard other people's opinions on....well, it's beyond me.

Specifically, it bothers me when people pass judgment on a book without having read it. I'll tell you what I think of the book, but I'm not going to really respect their opinion. Because they really can't have an informed opinion on something they haven't read.

Recently, this has happened to me talking to people about books such as The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and Twilight. A few people have been sort of shocked that I would be into a book such as The Hunger Games, since children are forced to kill each other. I can almost feel them getting a little high and mighty, like, I would never read such trash!

Okay, sure, think that. But I can't really have a discussion with you if that's all you know about the books. Or if that's all you think they're about. I can try to tell you my opinion, but I always suggest you read the books. Plenty of people's minds have been changed this way. Out of the dozens of people I've talked to who've read The Hunger Games, I've only talked to three who didn't like it. And to them I say, hey, you gave it a try but it wasn't for you? Great. Tell me why, so I can understand.

But when people try to talk confidently about something they've never read, I know they're just regurgitating other people's opinions. Take Harry Potter, for instance. Some people have just heard so many times that there's something wrong with these books because of the "magic" they contain that they practically back away in fear if I mention them. Seriously? Have you looked into it yourself?

There was this one guy I was trying to talk to and he had all these opinions on why Twilight was stupid. I also happen to believe Twilight is stupid (I tend not to use this word...). However, I have read all four books and have specific reasons why I think this. This guy hadn't read any of them, and his reasons for dissing the series weren't grounded in anything. It was obvious he didn't know what he was talking about.

So what kind of discussion is that? One person has read the book and one person hasn't? It's not a discussion at all.

Read the book and get back to me.

5 comments:

Linda said...

I chose not to read Twilight when a well known and respected author said Stephanie Meyer couldn't write for beans....I won't give you any opinions beyond that:-)

Anonymous said...

Laura,
I agree with you about having an opinion about some subject. Some people have opinions about everything regardless. I try to only have opinions about items I know something about and then I am willing to reconsider it if more information is available.
I loved the Hungar Games. Because I do not agree with something in a book does not mean I do not enjoy the story. It is a lot in life I don't like but alas we are here.
Mark Allman vaderalman@aol.com vaderalman on twitter

Laura said...

Good point, Linda. Definitely if you hear enough about a book to know you're not interested...don't read it!

Mark - Yes, I know what you mean. It's always a good idea to stay informed to give a valid opinion. Even on things we don't agree with. What's important is knowing why we feel the way we do so we can articulate it.

Anonymous said...

PREACH IT!!!! This is probably my biggest pet peeve. Usually I end up moving the discussion toward "Well, why don't you want to read it?" I don't think people HAVE to read these books, but I agree...they can't discuss the book intelligently when they don't know the full extent of what they are about. Nor should they encourage other people NOT TO READ THEM based on what they THINK they know about them (ok, THAT's my biggest pet peeve!). Of course they don't have to read the book if they don't want to. But they should not pass judgment on them without having read them. BREATHE...done tirade. ;-)

Laura said...

Ha, thanks for backing me up! I agree 100%.