Friday, April 20, 2012

Library Lending, Not Amazon Spending

I don't buy books. I borrow them.

This may seem weird since reading is pretty much my life. But why buy books when I have all the free ones I want every day at the best job ever? I'm not a book hoarder, that's all. I'm fine with borrowing and giving back.

I love looking through all the newest books at the library. Kids' picture books, memoirs, YA sci-fi, cookbooks, historical mysteries...I like to read and know about the wide variety we have available. My holds list contains dozens of new books I like to have my hands on before anyone else.

With all that's available to me, why spend money on books I'm not going to read again? Because I don't typically read books again. There's too much out there.

Ready for the exceptions? Here they are: Harry Potter and The Hunger Games (That's 10 books total). In the last couple years, these are the only books I've gotten and now own. I'm gearing up to read through the Harry Potter series again, actually. Every other book I read has a barcode and a spine label.

So much to read! So much to experience! And it's all available at the library. What other habit is so cheap, I ask you?

I love books, but I'm not attached to them in the way some people are. Those people like to own them, to collect them, to arrange them on shelves, to never ever get rid of a book...that's not me. At the library I realize you have to get rid of the old to make room for the new. Books come, books go, and I snag them as they travel through to different people's homes.

What a journey!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I don't rent movies or buy CDs much either. I get it all at the library. I have a friend who makes fun of me, because I'll sometimes wait months for a hold to come in. I'm frugal and like you, there are very few books I re-read.

Sarah said...

I bought the same books for myself! I do have lot of books for homeschooling, but those are books my kids pick up time and time again.

BTW, I found your blog through SCL (the introvert post).

Laura said...

Linda - I wait months too! Makes it more special when they come in.

Thanks for coming, Sarah! I was a homeschooler myself.