Friday, April 8, 2011

Day Off

So I had a day off yesterday. (Because I work Saturday, in case you were wondering.)

And I decided not to blog, because nothing came to my mind to write about. Which actually happens about 95% of the time, until I sit down and make myself think of something... But yesterday I decided to take a break. Writing five days a week gets a little exhausting, to be honest. So hopefully no one was TOO disappointed yesterday. And thanks for coming back, by the way.

So, a day off.

I realized that, since my life is kind of wrapped up in the awesomeness of working at the library, when I have a day off I don't quite know what to do with myself.

I have gone to other libraries on my day off. I have checked my work email on my days off. I have thought about the library on my day off. I have blogged about the library on my day off.

But when I'm not doing library-related things on my day off, I'm cooking and cleaning.

That's right, I turn into some kind of '50s housewife. Though I didn't put on an apron yesterday, it was only because I didn't think of it. Because they are super fun to wear.

My day started late because I got up late and then ran (inside on the treadmill, because there was snow on the ground outside. Grrr.) But after that, I looked up some new recipes online and got to work planning, shopping for, and then creating an elaborate feast for my family.

In case anyone's wondering, here's what I made:

Chicken and Asparagus Fettuccine (with a few modifications)
Wheat rolls (using our bread machine recipe)
Peaches (from a jar, sprinkled with walnuts)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes (basically the most fantastic thing I've ever put in my mouth)
and frosted with Chocolate Cookie Buttercream Frosting

Beautiful, delicious meal. If I do say so myself. Not only was the food beautiful, but when I make dinner, I have to make sure the table looks good. Although I don't make little flowered place cards like I did when I was eleven, it's the same kind of idea. Being an oldest child, I kind of tend to go overboard.

So anyway, in between preparation for this meal, I was bopping around with my iPod dusting, vacuuming, and generally tidying up. Very satisfying.

The only time I left the house was to go shopping, where I only had to buy three ingredients, but stood there and thought carefully about each one. I think I spend way too much time deliberating in the grocery store aisles. An employee even came up to me and asked me if he could help me make up my mind by describing the difference between pasteurized half and half and ultra-pasteurized half and half. It turns out, I figured it out myself, but it was nice to hear I was right. I like to hear that I'm right...

So that was my day off. Pretty wild, I know. And this was a long post, comparatively speaking. Well, now you can feel like you didn't miss out too much with that whole "no posting" thing yesterday.

You're welcome.


Hmmm...now all I need is a man...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OH MY WORD!! Will you come to my house on your next day off??!?! ;) it could you some cleaning and a great meal, well, minus the asparagus!! :)