Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's Your Worst Nightmare

I was at the mall this past weekend. I saw lots of little boys in suspenders and little girls in sundresses. Why? Because they were in line to see the Easter bunny.

When I walked past the elaborately decorated area (was it a house? I didn't really notice.) with a big white picket fence looping around, there was no Easter bunny to be found. He must've been out grabbing a bite to eat or something. So there was just a long line of restless children and determined-looking parents. Waiting.

Thinking about the Easter bunny reminded me of a picture we have in our photo album of me, my sister, and Mickey Mouse. Guess which two out of the three of us were crying? Let me give you a hint: Mickey's smile never wavered.

What is it about huge, dressed-up characters and kids? And not only kids, but adults? If you say you're not even the tiniest bit freaked out by these creatures, you are lying to yourself. I mean, you don't KNOW who's under that costume.

As for the kids, they have seen the Easter bunny on cards. Or Mickey Mouse as a stuffed animal. Or Elmo on tv. All small, harmless, cute best friends. And now, all of a sudden, a 6-foot-tall monstrosity is looming over their little heads, not speaking. Just reaching out its stubby T-rex arms out for - what, a hug? Are you crazy? *Commence crying*



Incidentally, don't google "scary easter bunny" unless you want to bring up images that will probably haunt your worst nightmares. How I wish I could erase the things I saw...

2 comments:

jingalls said...

when i was 2, my parents took me to see Barney at a local hardware store something. according to story i didn't want to go anywhere near him despite my great love for the television character.

Leah-Kay Ducato Rudolph said...

Those kids in the photo... what do THEY want for Easter?

All they want is "DOWN!"