Monday, April 4, 2011

They Are Coming


Well, spring is closer than ever before, I'm pleased to report. Right now, I'm listening to birds outside my window. And. I. LOVE IT!

However, there are some birds I've seen lately that I'm not so happy to see back. Birds that have been flying back north. Birds that travel in big, scary flocks. Birds that are big. Smelly. Loud.

Geese.

I consider myself a pretty brave person. I mean, I'm usually at the very least able to fake it. But the geese can always tell that I am pretty stinkin' scared of them.

The college that I went to has a pond. It's really pretty in the spring and summer - nice to walk around, sit by, take pictures of... But this pond is also home to stupid, ugly geese.

I would be walking around the pond on my way somewhere, and I would come upon this gang of geese. If they were people, they would've been smoking. Leaning up against a wall, looking threatening. Smashing bottles. That sort of thing. But they're geese. They PROBABLY weren't armed. So they just stare, hiss, and then run at you.

I'm not scared. I'm not scared. They're just geese. I'm a person. I'm bigger. Stronger. Faster. Wait - I'm not sure. How strong and fast ARE they? Don't look, don't look...just keep walking. Was that a hiss...don't look...here they come! Okay, now I give myself permission to RUUUUUUN!

So I'm not glad to see the geese back. Strutting around like they own this whole town. Well guess what, geese? You weren't around for the tough times. The months and months of cold and snow and misery. You just flew away and followed the party. Cowards.

Ugh. I hate geese.

No comments: