Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hello, Squirrel.


Well, I ran outside yesterday morning. For the first time since September? maybe October? Actually, it was still a little chilly yesterday, but I sucked it up. Because that's just what I DO, baby!

My first few steps felt very heavy and hard. Running outside is NOT the same as running on a treadmill. There's no softness on the concrete. Plus, I may run on an incline on the treadmill, but the hills around my neighborhood are a little crazier. So, basically, it was weird to try running outside again.

Something I seem to have forgotten since last time I ran outside is just how many animals there are around here. By "animals," I mean mostly squirrels. And the occasional chipmunk. They are all over the place.

Staring at me intently.

Waiting until I come close before making a run for it.

Popping out from behind every bush, every lamppost, every tree.

Sometimes they are cute. Sometimes they creep me out.

"Stop staring at me, you stupid squirrel! I'm just trying to run, here! What, am I not a good runner? Are you laughing at me? Is that a smirk?"

You've got to be wary when you run outside. With squirrels around every corner, a girl has got to watch her back.

No comments: