Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Thanks for Listening

"Library workers should celebrate National Library Workers Day by passive aggressively muttering 'You're welcome!' after refilling the stapler, unjamming the printer, and unclogging the public restroom's toilet for unthankful library patrons." -A Librarian's Guide to Etiquette

That's right, yesterday was National Library Workers Day! I had fun wishing my coworkers a Happy National Library Workers Day (a real mouthful!) and celebrating my job. I'm a geeky library lover, so a day like this is special to me. Our library Board got us pizza and brownies for lunch, so I spent the first half of the day focused and alert and the second half sleepy and full. Yum...

This sarcastic blog post I got from A Librarian's Guide to Etiquette makes me laugh because I have a tendency to at least think this from time to time.

Seriously, when did people get so rude? I say thank you for EVERYthing. I don't care if a person is being paid to "just do their job," I still say thank you. Someone's helping me, usually by doing something I'm unable to do for myself. So I say thank you for being skillful, for being prompt, for being helpful. Even if a person's rude to me I say thank you.

But so often in the library people don't say thank you. Especially over the phone, maybe because it's easier when you're not looking someone in the eye. There's an awkward pause over the line when I don't know what to say to end the call. "Well, bye!" I can't very well say "you're welcome."

Or when people are annoyed because they waited until the last minute to do a school project and there aren't any books left. Or tax forms aren't available because the IRS wants everyone to go online and they didn't send us copies. People have to *gasp* make their own copies and actually pay for the ink and paper. By the way, why are you doing your taxes now?!

I'm sure all my lovely readers always say thank you. Never forget to! It's always appreciated. It should be automatic, but for some it's an afterthought, if a thought at all.



Hey, THANK YOU for reading! My blog has gotten almost 10,000 views, in fact I'm only about 75 away. Why not go back into the archives and check out some older posts maybe you haven't read yet and bump up my views? It's an exciting number to reach, and I couldn't have done it without all of YOU.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for being a great librarian and a fun blogger!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for sharing your writing talents, thoughts, and sense of humor! :-)

Laura said...

Thanks for reading! :)