Friday, March 11, 2011

Read This. Good Luck.

As one of the more "technically-savvy" library workers, I'm often asked by patrons for help on the computers.

Anything from Facebook, setting up email, Googling...I've even typed up an email for someone in Spanish (he had it written out).

I find that the hardest thing to help with...the most confusing...the most frustrating...

it's the word verification box.

SERIOUSLY. Yahoo mail is the worst at this. The patron and I will be squinting at the screen at letters and numbers so welded together that it's nearly impossible to read it. In fact, it IS sometimes impossible. We'll keep refreshing the page to see if we can get something halfway legible.

I guess it's because "they" want real people signing up for email. But guess what? Real people can only squint their eyes and furrow their brows so much. Drives me bananas.

Helping people on the computers is tricky enough without places like Yahoo mail making it even worse. I'm sitting there with a person who has used a computer maybe twice in her life, trying to help her set up an email account or explaining the concept of double-clicking or introducing the wonders of Google. I'm already on edge because I grew up knowing this stuff. How am I supposed to explain it when I can't even remember how I learned?

Anyway. Here: Try these on for size.


No comments: