Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book Club


So I'm in charge of a couple different programs at the library. I really like having the experience of organizing events for different age groups, even the ones that scare me. (I'm talking to YOU, 4-6th graders.) The first event I took on was a book club for adults.

I took over this monthly event from someone else, and stepped in as the newest and youngest member. There's a group of about eight older women who have been attending for years. Needless to say, I felt a little apprehensive about coming in and attempting to lead a discussion each month.

Each month, though, I have such a great time. The ladies are so fun, and I have loads of respect for their wisdom and life experience. I love hearing their stories, and I love that they put up with me and value my opinion.

It's cool being the youngest person. Even when I get the sense that everyone else is exchanging glances after something I've said. If only she knew...well, she'll know someday...

Yesterday, our discussion veered somewhat off-topic (as it often does. I just go with it.) and we started talking about poetry, and what we've memorized over the years. One lady just broke right into a recitation of a poem she learned ages ago. And then another poem. And then someone else recalled a poem she used to read every morning on a cup she used for breakfast.

Things like this make me happy. Good books. Good conversation. And the way-cool-super-duper-awesome library, which brings us all together.

No comments: