Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick's Day. Oops.

Librarians are a pretty easy-going bunch. As I've mentioned before, they're not always busy shushing people. But my co-workers are hard-core about certain things. For instance,

you don't mess with the holidays.

When it's December, you choose from your 27 holiday sweaters and you WEAR THEM. Valentine's Day? Heart earrings and red. Or pink. St. Patrick's Day? Duh.

Well, guess what? I forgot to wear green yesterday. At the beginning of the week I kept thinking St. Patty's was Wednesday, and then on Thursday morning it just never entered my mind.

Five minutes into my workday I realized my error. And dread swept through me. Maybe no one would notice?

Oh, they noticed.

I groveled. I whined. I made excuses. But this was, frankly, unexcusable.

Luckily, someone had brought in a handful of bright green beaded necklaces with plenty of four-leaf clover shapes. Almost as if she knew SOMEone would forget.

I just never thought it would be me.

I briefly thought through my options as I held the gaudy necklace in my hand against my outfit. Then I realized there were no options. I put the necklace on. And I swore I would do better next time.

No comments: