Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Just Your Everyday Average Super Cool Librarian

Some people have the wrong idea about the library. And librarians.

I'm talking about stereotypes.

Sometimes people will come up to the desk and start talking very softly or even whispering to me. When patrons do this, I take a certain delight in speaking a little louder than normal, just to show that we are a cool, hip library where no one has to whisper!

I had one man tell me that I don't look like a typical librarian. Um, thank you, sir. I'll just take that as a compliment. I'm assuming he meant that:

1. I'm not old.
2. I don't wear glasses.
3. My hair isn't pulled back into a bun.
4. I don't wear cardigans. Very often.
5. I'm not grouchy.

It's kind of a shame that people still think that all librarians are cantankerous and like to shush people. It seems like whenever I read about a librarian in a fiction book, she (of course she's also a woman...) fits that mold.

I can't speak for every librarian, but I can tell you that I work in a library because I love books and I love helping people.

I certainly try and do my part to change people's ideas about the library and librarians. The library is pretty different from what it was fifty years ago. What isn't? But a lot of people who never use it don't get the chance to see how much we have to offer.

No comments: