Thursday, February 3, 2011

I Scare Myself Sometimes

For what must be the 78th time today, I raise my bright yellow "tumbler" to my lips, anticipating the tasteless liquid within. I tip back, open wide, and

proceed to spill water down my face. Or choke on it. One of the two.

Honestly, you would think that an action I have spent over twenty years perfecting would come a little more naturally.

"Oh, is this your first time drinking water?"

"Well, no, I've been doing it for over twenty years, I just - "

"I'm sorry, twenty years?"

*silence*

This rarely happens when it comes to other menial actions.

She freezes in front of the faucet, a confused look on her face. "I...I can't remember how to turn it on!"

Come on, now. Drinking water shouldn't be a new adventure. Learning how to run a snowblower should be. Coincidentally, I learned how to use one the other day.

Maybe that's it. Maybe I just learn so many new things each day, my brain can't contain the instruction manuals for those old, practiced actions.

I guess I should do more crossword puzzles so my brain doesn't turn to mush.

Even this little girl has better sipping skills than me.

1 comment:

jingalls said...

i have the same problem.