Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lazy Summer Days of Being a Kid

There's something about summer that makes me miss being a kid again.

Remember those carefree days of, well, nothing? When the most difficult choice of your day was the flavor popsicle you picked? When you had time to just stare at an anthill for 45 minutes?

Well, no more. Gone are those days.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy being a "grown-up," and wouldn't ever go back in time to relive those younger years (mostly because of junior high. *cringe*). But in these days of work and decisions (tougher than popsicle flavors), it's a nice escape to think of past summer days.

When I think of summers as a kid, a few things come to mind:

-going to the library! and pulling out piles and piles of books to lug home.

-me and my sister getting kicked out of the house to play.

-playing imaginary games outside involving sticks, rocks, and dirt under my fingernails.

-tough feet from going barefoot.

-long, long days of nothing. absolutely nothing.

Summers are different now. This is my first summer with a full-time job. Which I LOVE! But, it's different. Like a lot of other things these days.

Well, I am bound and determined to enjoy this summer with everything I've got. I don't want to see snow again for a long, long time!

4 comments:

Tim said...

Lazy summer days running around in the yard pretending to be Indians and settlers and whatever it was. =) Yep, many good memories and fun times, but I am with you, things have changed, but they still very enjoyable; just in a different way. =)

Hannah said...

The anticipation of summer vacation was worth the whole last quarter of school. Unfortunately, adults don't normally get three months off for the summer. Sigh...we never get enough vacation to be bored enough to want to return to work. Oh well, at least there are the perks of eating chocolate at any time of day without your Mom telling you to stop.

Laura said...

Tim - that's RIGHT, Indians and settlers! That was going through my mind when I was writing this, actually.

Mom said...

Indians, settlers, and... orphans! I kind of remember that theme coming up a lot, too!