Monday, June 27, 2011

The Cutting of the Hairs

Well, I got a haircut this last Friday.

Every couple months, when I have to start pushing the curls back with a headband, I know it's time to hack it all off. And when I'm sitting in the swively chair with that cape thing tied all around me, I just keep saying "shorter! shorter!" until there are hair remnants on the floor all around me.

Then, I get home. And look in the mirror. I freeze, shocked at how short I went. And my self-esteem starts to quaver.

(I just typed this last word before realizing, hey, I don't think this is a real word. I think I just invented a cross between quiver and waver. Well, you saw it here first, ladies and gentlemen.)

Did I go this short last time?

Do I look stupid?

Do I look like a boy?

Do I like like a 40-year-old woman? Because I really don't need any more people calling me ma'am, thank you very much.

Once I get home and wash it (using waaaay too much shampoo at first. You know how that is when you cut your hair?) and it dries, it always looks different than when I was sitting in the chair wanting it shorter.

After a few hours of second-guessing myself and scaring myself when I look in the mirror, I finally decide it will be all right. I just hope that I don't hear any of the following when I go out in public:

Telltale Comments When You Got a Bad Haircut

1. Oh, do you like it?

2. That certainly is a haircut.

3. Wow. It's so short!

4. Did you mean to do that?

5. It must be a lot easier to take care of, now that most of it is gone!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hmmm...I've had a few of these comments recently. I am also a little too hack-happy, especially this time of year.