Friday, June 24, 2011

The Kindly Librarian


I'm too nice.

Librarians are too nice.

And sometimes, certain patrons like to take advantage of that niceness.

They're used to us being very accomodating. Doing whatever we can to make them happy. Going above and beyond to get them what they want. Because that's our job!

And also, I love it. I enjoy it. I like to make people happy in the library.

But, sometimes I don't make people happy in the library. I get to tell them fun things like, "You have $40 in fines," while cringing and expecting an argument.

Some patrons just get this shocked look on their faces, like, all of a sudden this kindly librarian is giving them bad news. But the library's supposed to be a happy place! Everything's supposed to be free!

Well, it is. As long as you follow the rules. You will never have to pay a dime if you return things on time.

And now you have a fine because you forgot about the 16 dvds you checked out three weeks ago.

I'm sorry. This is my fault, how?

And then the expectant look. "Fix it, you kindly librarian!"

It doesn't work that way, buddy.

And suddenly, the kindly librarian grows a monstrous, fire-breathing head. A claw reaches out and grips the patron's shirt in a threatening sort of way.

Not really. But the patron responds as if that's the way we act. When all we really want is to give people free books and avoid confrontation.

If I'm seen as mean or unaccomodating because I follow the rules, so be it. I'm a protector of the books!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is precisely why my kids can only watch videos on Netflix streaming; that way I don't get a $40 fine! :) We do love the free books... so you just keep on protecting them!!

Molly said...

Love the picture. :) I feel your pain (not recently, but I remember it). The "Uh, I'm sorry but your account is blocked because your books are SO over due you can't check any more out" moment that is followed by much awkward, uncomfortable exchanges. No fun.

I do remember the first year I worked at the college library, apparently the other librarians who had worked there for a long time were no longer nice! People used to call me 'the nice librarian' that year. I guess it must've been bad...or maybe I just didn't have to tell anybody about their overdue fines. ;)

jake I. said...

I don't mind the small fines, what I do hate is the frantic rush the nigh before "where is that book?" "are you sure you can't renew it?" "ahhhhhhhh!" so, your job IS very important, saving the books from people like me.