Friday, January 16, 2015

Ding Dong Merrily

Before Christmas, I participated in something new. I volunteered as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army.

Source
Crazy, right? I always wondered who these people were that I saw ringing bells outside Wal-Mart. Seems simple enough, though. I mean, anyone can stand and ring a bell.

I got involved through my library and the local Rotary. Minimal instructions were given, but I showed up at the appointed time at a nearby shopping center. I was bundled up and ready to go for two hours.

The volunteer I was replacing passed me the bell and apron, and I started ringing my little heart out.

And ringing.

And ringing.

And ringing.

Has it been two hours yet? What? 10 minutes?

Let's just say that I really underestimated the toughness required to stick it out in the elements. 

The dancing around was a necessity, really. Had to keep the blood circulating.

I was pleasantly surprised at how many people gave. Most donations were a dollar, but it varied. Some gave on their way into the store, while others promised to give on the way out. Either way, they got a smile and a "Merry Christmas!" from me. (And the guy who just said "Aren't you cold?" and did not donate got a bonus fake laugh.) 

Honestly, it was a joy to feel like I was helping in some small way. And all the lovely people I met made the experience feel truly gratifying. And, not to brag, but my crazy good bell-ringing skills and winning smile had people stuffing $$$ in that red bucket like nobody's business.

Of course, awkwardness finds me no matter what, and bell-ringing was no exception. I kept running into the problem of whether or not to keep ringing while someone was fumbling in a purse or wallet. I didn't want to stop and stare, but it seemed strange to RINGRINGRING when they were standing there in the act. 

I don't mean to rush you, but RINGRINGRING.

By the end of the two hours, most of my body parts were numb and I was more than willing to relinquish the bell, which by now just felt like an extension of my hand. 

Uncomfortably cold? Yes. Lengthy and at times boring? Yes. Will I do it again next year?

Also yes!


2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

I try to make it a practice to put something in that red bucket when I pass one. This year (I mean last year), early in the bell-ringing season, I put a few dollars in the bucket, and the ringer gave me a tiny red Salvation Army bell. What an unexpected fun gift!

And yeah, putting money in that bucket is a lot easier than standing outside for 2 hours asking people to put the money in.

Mark Allman said...

I think it is great that you did that. Good for you. I'm sure you were the top ringer of all this year!