Friday, October 28, 2011

It's For You


Talking on the phone at the library can be stressful.

When I pick up the phone, I don't know who's on the other line. I have just committed myself to helping someone I don't even know. I am now accountable to solving someone's problem. Oh, boy.

Sometimes, it's an easy question. One I can answer quickly and decisively.

Other times, it gets complicated.

Yesterday, I realized that I would not make a good, um, whatever you call those people that help you over the phone. You know, when you call for help with your insurance, or your computer, or whatever.

How do these people do this every day? I think to myself as I'm talking to someone who's helping me over the phone. Surely everyone isn't as nice and understanding as me! Surely they must talk to some nuts! I know I do!

Talk to nuts, I mean. Well, not nuts exactly. Just the more difficult people.

One helpful way to relieve stress while talking on the phone with a difficult person is to distort your face. Hey, the person on the other end of the line can't see me scrunching up my face like a chimpanzee. Ha! Look at me! I'm trying to touch my tongue to my nose as I listen to this person complain to me!

It can be helpful; that's all I'm saying. Almost as helpful as reliving the entire conversation with my coworkers after I hang up.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Oh yes, we get plenty of "nuts" who call. =P I work at Public Safety at college, and I work dispatch, so I monitor the radio, and answer the phones (and we get a good amount of training for the phones). We get plenty of calls from people who have a question, but don't even really know what they are trying to ask, or have enough details for us to fix their problem. Or they want us to do something that we can't do, or are just being "stupid". =P
But, it keeps the job interesting. =P