Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I'll Borrow...This One!

I'm not really good at being put on the spot. I need time to think and reflect.

That's why my mind goes blank when people ask me for book recommendations.

I know, I know, it's probably not right that I get nervous when people ask me for advice on what they should read next. But so many things are going through my mind that nothing comes out of my mouth!

I'm thinking:

I'm reading like, five books at the same time!

But would this person like any of them?

Three of them are children's books!

Maybe this person would like this one...but wait? Wasn't there language/sex/violence in it? Am I recommending a book to this person that he/she would consider inappropriate?

How well do I know this person?

Why haven't I read any good books lately?

Or I have...but will this particular person like them?

Why don't I read more smart-sounding books instead of young adult books that just sound silly when I try to explain them? I mean, I've tried to explain The Hunger Games before and people look at me like I have two heads...



So, yeah. I kind of psych myself out. And when a mom asks me on behalf of her child? Like, "have you read this book? is it too scary for a ten-year-old?" And I know I've read it, but I can't really remember and I get a little freaked out that suddenly I've become responsible for what this ten-year-old is reading because I'm a librarian...

It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it! And somebody's gotta risk a little shock when she recommends Harry Potter. Really? Still?

No comments: