Friday, February 10, 2012

Strolling Through the Library

I occasionally patrol the library.

I guess I picked up the habit from working at my college library. Every hour we worked, the library staff had to walk around and count how many students were using the library. While walking around we would push in chairs, pick up books, and generally tidy up. Also, I considered it my personal duty to break up couples "studying" in the back.

So I kind of still keep up that habit at the public library. Every once in a while, if things are slow at the desk, I'll stroll around the library.

I do this for a couple reasons. First, it's just generally good to know who's around. If we find a DVD case in the bookdrop without the DVD, I might know if the patron's still around in the library. Or if someone calls looking for someone (which happens more often than you might think), I might know where that patron is. And generally I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on who's at the library in case there's some kind of issue.



Also, I like to pick up books scattered around and push in chairs. When people are browsing, they tend to leave a trail. Which is MUCH better than them shelving them in the wrong place, by the way. So I'll scoop up all the books hanging around, trying to carry as many as I can in one trip. Because I like to carry things...And I definitely have a thing about keeping chairs pushed in. How hard is it, people?

Finally, I like to walk around just to walk around. Stretch my legs. Get the blood flowing. I walk around a lot during the day in short spurts, but sometimes I just like to stride purposefully around the whole library. Good for the heart!

Hope you all have a great weekend! Stay healthy, stay warm, and visit your local public library. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to know! Keep up the good work.