Monday, June 18, 2012

Food, Glorious Food


So, I'm kind of into nutrition.

I mean, I've always been a pretty big fan of food. The difference is now I'm learning to replace some pretty pathetic eating habits with some super awesome ones.

This is definitely a journey for me, if you'll allow me to be cliche. (You won't? Tough. This is an inspirational blog post and I get at least one cliche. Possibly two.) There are a lot of ideas out there about nutrition, and it can be daunting working through them. No matter what the food issue (vegetarian? sweetener? carbs? raw milk?), there are always people on both sides, vehemently disagreeing.

I find the subject of food and eating today fascinating. Especially since so many of us are doing it so horribly wrong. Obesity is sort of the elephant in the room. It's obvious, but lots of people avoid it. But really, what are we doing to our bodies? What "foods" are we eating today that our great-grandparents wouldn't even recognize? In a few more years down the road, where will we be?

I've been reading a lot about nutrition over the past few years, and I've changed a lot of my habits. I've added WAY more fruits and vegetables. I've tried my hardest to cut out "foods" with crazy-long lists of unpronounceable ingredients which have ridiculously long shelf lives. I've added foods like plain greek yogurt, black beans, brown rice, and avacados. I try to eat more natural foods, foods that haven't been tweaked by scientists to make them more addictive. I cut out all soda (even diet, which I've been drinking for the last few years). I read food labels and scorn high fructose corn syrup (which is in more than you think!).

There's still a lot I don't know. And I slip up all the time. But I generally feel better about the way I'm fueling my body. I love to eat. Sometimes too much. But with the joy of eating should come the recognition that not all food is created equal. The choices I make do matter. And it's exciting to try new things!

I've read a few books on food, thanks to my awesome public library. Here are some that I've found the most helpful:

Eat This Not That by David Zinczenko (various editions)
As a visual learner, I was drawn in by all the pictures! Everything is laid out and compared on these pages. My favorite is the supermarket guide, where everything from brands of condiments to types of bread is evaluated. And for extra shock value, the drink guide will wow you with its visuals of how much sugar is in certain drinks. For instance, a pile of cookies or scoops of ice cream sitting next to something from Starbucks. Lots of practical advice for everyday grocery shopping or even eating out.

The End of Overeating by David Kessler
Forever changed the way I'll think about food. The descriptions of food manufacturers manipulating ingredients to satisfy our appetites for salt, sugar, and fat were sobering. I felt like my eyes were opened to how desperate our situation as consumers is.

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan
Nice short, concise book basically summarizing his more in-depth book, In Defense of Food. Pollan's basic concept is - Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. This book is easy to understand and apply.

The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper
Yes, Bob Harper of Biggest Loser fame! I was pleasantly surprised by this book, since there are so many celebrity-endorsed "diet" books that seem so impossible. I really admire his knowledge. Some of his rules include "Drink a large glass of water before every meal" and "Make one day a week meatless."

I believe that many people mindlessly consume food every day without thinking of where it came from or what it's doing to them. Your body is the one thing you keep for your whole earthly life; invest in it. Make one small change at a time, and see how you feel. My shopping has suddenly gotten simpler and cheaper, as I stick to the outside aisles and buy fresh ingredients.

And I feel pretty awesome about myself, too.

No comments: